June 24 - 29, 2019
This Educator Workshop offers pre-service, middle and high school teachers, curriculum specialists, administrators, and informal educators the opportunity to learn how to plan and execute future educational field study courses for their students at BIOS. Between June 24 - 29, 2019, up to 12 participants will take part in this educational workshop and explore themes for potential future visiting groups such as:
- Oceanography and Marine Science: including lab and STEM activities, coral reef exploration, and low tide collection of certain species.
- Gliders: an introduction to cutting-edge glider technology, and how these underwater robots can revolutionize ocean studies and student involvement in the classroom.
- Island Ecology and Geology: Nonsuch Island conservation of rare and threatened species (including the Cahow) and habitats.
- Bermuda and U.S. History: colonization of St George’s, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War.
- Scientific Exploration Past and Present: William Beebe, global climate initiative and AUV gliders.
During the 6-day workshop at BIOS, attendees will be provided with an overview of local attractions and the way in which these can be integrated into future educational experiences for students. Participants will explore Whalebone Bay, Cooper’s Island, and Fort St. Catherine, and highlights such as Nonsuch Island, the beautiful North Rock, the city of Hamilton, and the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo. Participants will get to know local Bermudian terminology, get a unique perspective on the historic town of St George’s, and learn more about the geography of Bermuda.
If participants would like to arrive before the workshop, please contact email@example.com for off-site accommodation options. Participants are welcome to stay extra nights at BIOS after the course for $75.00 a night, plus any required meals.
The application deadline for this workshop is May 1, 2019, and all applicants will be notified by May 15. Upon acceptance into the workshop a $300.00 deposit is required. The final tuition fee is due by June 1, 2019.
Enrolment for this educational workshop is limited to 12 participants, tuition fee is $1,200.
The 2019 Educator Training Workshop application form can be found here.