R/V Atlantic Explorer is owned and operated by the Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS) in compliance with U.S. Coast Guard, UNOLS, and American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) regulations as an uninspected research vessel.
Atlantic Explorer can carry a crew of 12 and a scientific party of 22 researchers, students, and technicians for up 28 days or 5500 nautical miles. Due to COVID restrictions and safety regulations, the ship's capacity has temporarily been reduced to a crew of 11 and a scientific party of 8 researchers.
Beam: 38' 0"
Draft: 11' 6"
Gross Tonnage: 299 (GRT), 861 (ITC)
Net Tonnage: 203 (NRT), 258 (ITC)
Cruising Speed: 10 knots
Cruising Range: 5,500 nautical miles
View all of R/V Atlantic Explorer's features by viewing the general arrangement drawings diagram. Click here for detailed ship specifications.
General Arrangement Drawings
Other Drawings & Photos
Working Deck Area:
- Main Deck 1550 ft2
- 01 Deck 440 ft2
- 02 Deck 340 ft2
- 2ft x 2ft grid of treaded sockets for bolting down modular equipment
- Stern A-Frame Size 40' h x 22' w Outreach 18 Feet Capacity 20 tons – tested to 10 tons
- Starboard A-Frame Size 19' h x 10' w Outreach 9 Feet Capacity 7.5 tons – tested to 5 tons
- Appleton KEB70-45-31 Crane
- Hydrographic - Model: MARKEY DUSH 4 - 10,000 M 1/4" of Hydro Wire
- Mooring Winch Model: TSE - Model SPD-70, 600 m 1/2" of Wire or Line
- CTD Winch Model: MARKEY DUSH - 5 Research Winch, 10,000 m of .322" CTD cable with 4-channel Slip Ring.
- General Purpose D.E.M.E. Lifting Winch Model: 20 series, 350 m 5/8" Wire or Line
- General Purpose Markey Machinery Model: COM7 2000 m of ¼” Phillystrand Spectra
- General Purpose Markey Machinery Model: COM7 2000 m of .322” EM cable
- General Purpose Lyons Shipyard Pedestal Winch 250m of ¼” Line
- CTD – Seabird 9/11 Plus – 6,800m maximum depth; Includes Temperature, Conductivity, Dissolved Oxygen, Transmissivity, Fluorometer, and Photosynthetically Available Radiation Sensors
- Flow through seawater system – SBE 21 Thermosalinograph and Turner 10-AU Flurometer in-line
- UNOLS Mobile Radioisotope Laboratory Van
- Meteorological Instruments; Includes Temperature, Humidity, Wind Speed and Direction and Radiometers
- Laboratory Grade Water: Millipore Elix-5 RO and Millipore Academic system
- Knudsen echo sounder operating at 12kHz and 3.5kHz
- RDI Ocean Surveyor 75kHz Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler
- Straza Tower available for integrating additional equipment
Ship Ops Contact
Captain Murray Stein
Tel: 441-297-1880 Ext 205
(U.S. Phone) 646-547-1788 x205
Captain Rick Verlini
(U.S. Phone) 646-547-1788 x130
Marine Operations Coordinator
Tel: 441-297-1880 ext 233
(U.S. Phone) 646-547-1788 x233